A new weekly column of sorts. For your entertainment pleasure and for my ability to blog without having to think too hard.
This past weekend, I got a few new treats and am super (x100) excited about them. For some reason, I get a huge thrill from purchasing new beauty products, make-up and tools (of the cosmetic variety). I love reading reviews, scouting them out and eventually playing around with them for myself. And in the event that I actually am able to use them these days, I am all the more tickled. It reminds me of when I was little and would scour my mom's bathroom drawers for "lotions and potions" and create spa days with my friends. Because, you know, we needed them back then. Anyways, I spent some time at Ulta on Sunday (sans kiddos) with an esthetician who quickly became my new BFF. Evette was an absolute riot leading me around the store to this product and that. And when I disclosed to her that I had two kids (one of them being an eight-week old) waiting for me at home and that I needed to be on my way, she loaded my bag with free samples fit for a new mama. How did she know I needed stretch mark cream and under eye gel?! She then proceeded to tell each of her co-workers how "normal" I was for being a mom. Er? Still not exactly sure what she meant by that, but I think it was some sort of compliment, hah.
Anyhow, I digress.
My makeup bag. What's in it?
Here is a look at my tried and true favorites as well as a few of the new purchases:
2. NEW: The original Naked Eye Palette by Urban Decay. Again, the reviews are what got me. I am a MAC girl at heart, but these are colors that I will use every single day so thought I would give it a try. So far, I am very impressed. As Kate mentioned on her blog, there is little to no fallout (when the eyeshadow falls underneath your eye as you are applying it) which is fantastic. I always apply my eye makeup first for this reason, fyi. An added bonus to this product? The brush that's included. It's a good one.
3. MAC's Pro Longwear Concealer. I use this daily underneath my eyes and around my nose (for redness). It's the best concealer I have tried and it lasts forevvvveeeeerrrr. Tip: Ask for a sample at the make up counter and it alone will last you a month or two. I caved and purchased a tube when I finally felt that the MAC girl, who happened to be there every time I went in, had caught on to my "free sample" habit.
4. Sonia Kashuk's (available at Target) Jet Set Liquid Liner in Black. If you want to, but are scared to, try a liquid liner, start with this one. It's teeny tiny brush makes it foolproof and the color lasts all day. Top lash line only please.
5. MAC's eyeshadow in 'Phloof'. One of my all time favorite colors and one that I go back for again and again. Great for all over or simply as a brow highlighter.
6. MAC's blush (otherwise known as "pixie dust" according to Logan) in 'Dainty'. Not as pink as Orgasm by Nars. Nor do you get as pink in the face when you ask for it by name.
7. MAC's Extended Play Lash in 'Endlessly Black'. I totally use Maybelline's Great Lash on a day to day basis, but this mascara seems to lenghten my seriously whimpy lashes better than anything else. I save it for "special occasions" (aka not hanging out at home all day) and use it in combination with Great Lash (Extended Play first coat, Maybelline second coat).
8. MAC's Studio Fix Powder Foundation. If my make up bag had to be stripped of every item but one, this is the one I would save!! It is THE BEST foundation out there in my opinion (especially for oily / combo skin). It provides flawless coverage and eliminates red / blotchy patches. I suggest applying it with a brush rather than the sponge applicator that they provide for the most natural finish. I have been using this for over 10 years and I won't ever stop. Don't wanna. Can't make me.
9. The Body Shop's Vitamin E Illuminating Cream. This is da bomb for highlighting your skin. I think I will use it in place of foundation for pool days and such this summer. A little bit goes a long way.
10. Burt's Bees Lip Shine. It's the perfect amount of non-color, color. Plus it hydrates. I apply this all day long!
11. The Body Shop's Vitamin E Eye Cream. In truth, I have tried very few under eye creams, but I love this one and don't see the need to switch. It plumps the skin and gets rid of the pores and dark circles just dandy. Plus, it does not irritate my sensitive skin.
12 & 13. NEW Eyeshadow Brushes by Ulta Professional. One eyeliner brush and one compact crease brush. Both have already changed my life in terms of eye makeup application. Good brushes are a must and are worth the investment! Case in point?
14. I have had the last brush in the row since my sophomore year of college. I have absolutely no idea what brand it is, as it made it's way into my make up bag after one of my roommates left it on the counter over summer break. And who knows how long she had it before me as the label was already worn off. It's the best fluffly, all over eyeshadow brush and with a little baby shampoo and monthly cleanings, has maintained it's shape, bristles and softness. Thank you Molly wherever you are :) Again, good brushes are worth spending a few extra bucks on! Don't forget to clean regularly and store separately and upright to keep them pretty and lasting forever.