I have been wanting to do a post like this for quite some time, and after reading Erin's this morning, I was inspired!
With starting back to work (albeit from home), trying to keep the house organized, dinners cooked, Logan happy, bills paid, me looking like a presentable human being, etc. etc. things can be tricky - and I am sure that most everyone can relate.
I like to think of myself as an organized individual, but I am also all about cutting corners to make life a little easier. For example:
- I have two "junk baskets". One is very large and one, small. This keeps things out of sight and clean looking, but inside is a much different story. One may find blankets, old cat toys, beach towels, loose change batteries, sticky notes, magnets, hair ties, pictures, used candle jars, newspaper articles, expired coupons and an endless list of other treasures if they were to look inside. I don't let anything truly important (ie unpaid bills) slip into these baskets, so I take comfort knowing that when I don't have time to deal with something, I can let it sit there for months if need be before I have to think about it. The trick, however, is actually taking that time once in awhile to sort everything out. Otherwise, one basket would quickly turn into ten.
- I organize mail right away. Junk mail does not make it past the front door if I can help it. Even magazines or catalogs that I know I won't get to go straight into recycling or passed along to someone else.
- Our dressers are not kept neatly. While everything is clean and put away, things for the most part get unfolded, out of order or placed in the wrong drawer. Oddly, I don't stress over this. No one cares if your work-out clothes or socks are wrinkled, right?
- I try and make enough food that I can freeze leftovers for another day. I just started seeing the beauty in this routine and I plan to do it much more often. There is nothing like having dinner just a defrost button away.
- I have one reusable bag on each floor that "catches" items that need to be placed on the opposite floor (ie, Logan's dirty clothes need to go downstairs into the laundry or my bedside water glass needs to come upstairs to be washed) and at the end of the night I bring the bags to the appropriate floor and put everything away all at once rather than making several trips a day.
Those are just a couple of ways that we cut corners around here, but I know there are many more when it comes to cooking, cleaning, gift giving, note writing, recipe finding, errand running, beauty routines...and the list goes on.
So, how do you cut corners? I would love to "steal" your secrets, so share away!