6.01.2010

How are you feeling?

Since the day I announced I was pregnant, it's been a question that I get asked at least 20 times a day. At least.

Pregnancy really does take over your existence. Kind of like when you are planning your wedding and the only question you hear is "How are the plans coming along?", except different in the fact that when you're pregnant, even outright strangers can ask how you're feeling if they so well choose. And believe me, they do.

Please don't get me wrong - I truly appreciate it and, pathetically, even enjoy the nice attention most days. I am also the first person to admit asking how one is feeling throughout her entire pregnancy, even if I see her several times in one week. I think it's a genuine gesture of interest and concern and that people really do want to know.

My answer to the question, however, is quite boring and almost always, "I have been feeling great, thanks!" Mostly because actual complaints are spared for my husband (he did have a part in this, after all) and in all honesty, are so few and far between that I never feel they are worthy of sharing.

But as I sit here today with extreme lower back pain, an all over achiness, a belly band constricting my breathing (and pants for that matter), a wedding ring that won't budge and in shoes that are feeling a size too small, I am wondering how great I really feel. Oh, and did I mention that my hands start to go numb after about 5 minutes of drying my hair and according to the online pregnancy-weight-gain calculator, I am 3 weeks off track (on the wrong end)? Mmm, and sleeping is just about out the window as of late; I can't find a position that is remotely comfortable for 8 hours not to mention that my bladder feels as though it has a constant pinched nerve. Ah, and finally, entire paychecks in our household are funding my Tums/Rolaids/Gaviscon addiction. Yea, so when I think about it, I suppose I don't really feel...great.

But I do feel good. All things considering. And as cliche as it may sound, the daily kicks and movements that I feel from this little girl are simply amazing and so worth it. (Hildur, if you're reading, yes, I am able to feel her moving as of about 23 weeks!)

Also keep in mind, that I am hoping for a natural labor - let's keep the booing and gasps to a minimum, shall we? I think my response of, "feeling great, thanks", is a subconscious mode of self preservation. If I start to complain now, it's all over for sure, right? So bare with me.

Just shy of 30 weeks, that's where we're at folks. Chris and I start our childbirth prep classes this week. To say that this whole baby thing is really starting to sink in is an understatement. And we can't wait.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The book Birthing from Within and the birth preparation system Hypobabies are the two things I have heard absolute RAVES about from a ton of people. I've never read/used either, but they seem to be consistently touted by lots of women I know who all went natural.

And I slept on a loveseat for the last 6 weeks or so of my first pregnancy, because I needed something against my back and simply couldn't get comfortable in the bed! I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Yay Tiff..childbirth classes. How fun. I love your comments on the "How are you feeling?" question you get a billion times a day. You are right, whether it be babies or wedding planning..gotta love all the questions that come with it, and it does take over your life..(and yes planning is going well. Just about 4 months out and im starting to stress..ahhh, right now im working on finding the perfect heels for my dress!) Glad to hear you are feeling ok!
Let us know how the classes go! XOXO

Artsy Fartsy said...

How did you manage to perfectly capture EVERYTHING that I've been feeling, too? You are doing great, and it will all be worth it in the end...at least that is what I keep telling myself!